What you CAN’T say to a depressed person. (AVOID)
1. There are people worse off than you, what do you have to be depressed about?
2. No one ever said life was fair.
3. Just stop feeling sorry for yourself.
4. Snap out of it.
5. I feel the same when things don’t go right for me.
6. It’s all in your head.
7. Can’t you just think positively?
8. Just go out and have some fun!
9. We all get sad sometimes.
10. Don’t take medication, you don’t wanna get hooked and rely on those depression pills.
Sometimes, it is the ones closest to you that might say these things. They are really only trying to help, they just don’t know how to. Of course they don’t want to see their loved one down. Print this out for them if you must.
10 things you CAN say to a depressed person.
1. “I’m here for you.”
2. “You are allowed to talk about and feel what you like, I’m listening. I may not understand, but I’m listening.”
3. “To me you are important. Do you want a hug?”
4. “You are not alone.. you are not going crazy.”
5. “We can get through this. I will be here for you as long as you need.”
6. “I want to be here for you. You can talk when you’re ready.”
7. “I’m not going to abandon you, I love you. (only say this if true)”
8. “I know you mightn’t want help, but I want you to be around for a while yet. Would you like me to help you with anything? I’m really happy to..”
9. “Would you like to come to the movies? Or I’ll bring around a DVD and popcorn and we can just chill?”
10. “Depression is a real issue. It is a real disease. You might have the disease, but you are not the disease. It can be beaten”
Remember, there are many of us suffering who DO understand what you may be going through. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.